CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A Brave New Girl

We have big news with Lily. On Sunday she decided to eschew her night light. This started when Amanda was going through the couch looking for a checker that goes with the backgammon set. As she pulled up the couch cushions she found all kinds of Lily treasures in there. One was a small flashlight. Remembering Thanksgiving I had an idea. I asked her if we could turn off the nightlight if she had the flashlight in her room. She agreed.

I thought that she might back out in the end, but she decided to go through with it. She unplugged the nightlight, but had it handy in case she changed her mind. She ended up not needing the flashlight because we have a street light not far from our house and it provided plenty of light in Lily's room. On Monday night she declared that she didn't even need the flashlight anymore. Now she brags about how she doesn't need the flashlight.

This is pretty exciting for a few reasons. One is that I think I was in junior high before I gave up my nightlight. The other is that she gave up her blanket not a month ago. She is already going potty by herself first-thing in the morning. All we need to do now is put the cereal on a lower shelf and have a small container for her to pour milk and she may be able to take care of herself for the first part of the day. I realize that we're already fortunate to have her stick to the "seven-zero-zero rule," but I think we've got to keep encouraging more independence.

0 comments: