CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, December 28, 2007

A Landmark Day

Today turned out to be a very significant day in Lily's life. 99% of the day was the usual. Amanda's sisters came over for lunch, so Lily enjoyed playing with her aunts and her cousin Brenna. Amanda tells me that it was a little tough because Lily and Brenna both seem to enjoy having an audience and there was a lot of screaming. While Amanda doesn't have everyone over for lunch every day, that wasn't so amazing.

The evening was pretty normal. Lily was her normal bossy/fussy self. She has lately decided that any cross word in her direction is "a rude thing to say." I told her at one point, "No, it's not rude, it's parenting." I realize that didn't help things, but it made me feel better in a sort of twisted way.

The extraordinary thing happened at bedtime. Lily announced, "I don't need my blanket anymore." I asked her if I could take it and she said yes. I told her that I would put it in our closet and that we would not throw it away. She said that she still likes it, but she is going to sleep without it.

If you know Lily you know that she and her blanket are not much different than Linus and his, when it comes to being in bed. We've been pretty tough about her not having it outside of the bedrooms unless she is sick. I remember May of 2004 when we were on the airplane flying home from Mom's graduation and we couldn't figure out how to settle her down. Everything clicked when we saw her chew on her blanket. From then on it became the magic talisman to a restful night for the family. I remember one time when we left it at Bill & Tiffany's house. I had to meet Bill halfway for an exchange. It was that vital.

It looks like those days may be behind us. Our little girl is growing up.

0 comments: