CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Keeping Score

I took Lily to the Bulls game last night. I still had a ticket left from my season ticket package, so I figured we'd better go before we ran out of season. Plus, this is the last week before school starts and I knew we'd get home late.

Last time we went Lily was fascinated with the idea of keeping score. I got her a program and we were all set to go. They post the lineups outside of the gift shop where you first come in and Lily said that she didn't want to write the names. I did that for her. She had her pencil and was all set.

The first batter singled. They have diamonds written in the boxes on the program, so I told her to fill in the line from home to first and showed her on mine. She did that. Then I told her to write "1B" in the corner to show that it was a single. She didn't like that idea at all. She didn't realize that she would have to write a bunch of little letters.

A subsequent batter grounded out to third, so I told her to write "53" for him. She didn't want to do that either. In the end, "keeping score" meant making little patterns on the various boxes. In fact, she chided me for leaving some of my boxes blank.

She enjoyed herself though. The Bulls got pounded 9-3 by the Scranton Wilkes-Barre Yankees, but at least Chris Richard hit a meaningless (though quite impressive) home run in the ninth. That was good because the big bull's eyes turn red, smoke comes out of his nose, and the tail moves up and down when a Bulls player hits one out. Lily was ecstatic about that.

All in all, it was a good evening, but a very late one. Lily didn't get to bed until about 10:45. I hope she sleeps in today.

0 comments: