CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Swimmers

Amanda and the kids enjoyed the morning at the pool courtesy of the Zwahrs. It is blisteringly hot here (around 100 and muggy), so this was a welcome respite from being stuck inside all day. They had a great time. Noah loves kicking balls into the pool and he also likes jumping into mommy's arms from the side of the pool. He's much braver than Lily was at that age.

I also ended up going swimming yesterday. I had my first sailing class on Lake Crabtree. It didn't go so great. I can't tell you how many times I made the sail stall, though I was generally able to get out of it. I think I did a gybe one time without meaning to. I nearly capsized once, but then at the end I did capsize. My guess is that I had the sail in too tight, but it's hard to say. All I know is that the boat started to tip toward me and I remembered my instructor telling us that if we're capsizing the best thing we can do is go with it. I'm just glad that my sunglasses stayed on after rolling backwards into the water. Given the extreme heat lately the dip in the lake actually felt pretty good.

Amanda really wants me to take her out on the lake, so I'm determined to get the hang of this. I can totally see the appeal of sailing. And for $10/hour to rent a boat, you just can't beat the price. Let's just hope I get better at it today and tomorrow.

0 comments: