CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, October 19, 2007

A Fair Time

I took Lily to the State Fair this morning. The gates opened at 9, but the rides and games didn't start until 10. I figured it was important to get there early because the crowds would be thinner and it was not supposed to rain as much this morning. Unfortunately, it was drizzling off and on as we got there. I decided to eschew the umbrella because I thought we'd make it. Oops.

Once we got in we quickly found the barn for the FFA (Future Farmers of America). Lily enjoyed looking at the various animals, but seemed particularly fascinated by the crowing roosters. It was nice to go through before it got crowded.

I was then on the hunt for more livestock. We walked through the midway to get to the petting zoo. There were all kinds of interesting animals there. A llama came over to me looking for some food. They had porcupines in a pen in the middle of the barn (not for petting) as well as kangaroos. I don't think I had ever seen a yak before today. Lily wasn't interested in petting, which was just fine with me. We set off for the next livestock exhibit.

As I walked through the midway I heard the carnies talking about the day. I kept thinking of Austin Powers' one fear in life. I can't say that I felt real great around these folks either. Lily was blissfully ignorant.

We got to the main exhibition building and none too soon because the skies opened up. We went in to check out the animals. Lily got to see a cow getting milked by a machine. It really speaks to our suburbanity to say that I used Mommy's breast pump as a frame of reference for Lily. We got to see a cow leave some patties on the floor. I explained to Lily that you never want to walk behind a cow for two reasons:

  • Poop
  • You might get kicked
I shouldn't have told her that. We couldn't navigate through the exhibit hall because she was terrified of getting kicked even when we were well behind the cows. She was even worried of being kicked by cows that were laying down. It was also tough because Lily kept one hand pinching her nose to block out the smell. It seems that she doesn't like the smell of poopy straw. Even though I grew up in the 'burbs I associate it with visits to my grandparents' house in Hamilton where my dad grew up, so I kind of like it. Lily was not sold on, "it's not that bad". I don't think Lily is going to be a FFA.

It was still raining, so we found the main exhibition hall. We saw a pumpkin that weighs over 1100 pounds and I found out how they do it (genetic engineering and constant drip watering with fertilizer). We saw prize cucumbers and some bizarre looking veggies. I saw a sweet potato as big as my head. We spent some time chatting with the beekeepers and sampled some fresh honey. We learned that there is a woman who gets bees mailed to her weekly so they can sting her as the poison helps with arthritis. Lily wanted to go out into the rain more than being around the stinky animals (there were also animals in another part of the huge building).

I eventually relented, but fortunately the rain did too. We looked at some of the rides, but I could only sell her on the carousel. Maybe next year.

Lily and I had split an ear of corn at around 10:30 and then Lily had her first corn dog. She was tentative at first, but once she got going she wouldn't stop. Later on I had perhaps the best Italian sausage sandwich I've ever had in my life. We got a freshly-made cup of butter pecan ice cream for the way out and we also visited the grist mill reproduction and enjoyed a free hushpuppy (I had one bite and Lily ate the rest). On the way out I decided to pass on the free smokeless tobacco samples, despite the very attractive young lady they had trying to draw people in. As we walked by her I decided to instead look at Lily and ask her if she enjoyed the fair. I didn't get asked if I wanted to come into the tent.

It turns out that Lily did enjoy the fair. I got my hand stamped so I can go back later today, but I don't think that will happen no matter how much I want to try the fried oreos. I think I've had enough fair for a year, and hopefully Lily will be able to enjoy it even more next year. And hopefully she will grow another 2 inches so she can ride more rides if she is so-inclined.

0 comments: