CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Sailor Girl

We had a big family picnic at Lake Crabtree yesterday. The Pierces are in town, so we met them, the McKenzies, and Natalie for a picnic and some fun on the water. I took Amanda sailing on Saturday, but it was pretty boring with almost no wind. Yesterday was a lot more dynamic as we had some rain coming in an a little wind ahead of the front.


I asked Lily if she was interested in sailing and she said she was. Brenna and Bill wanted to go too, but I was told that we could only have 2 people on the Sunfish. The McKenzies took out a canoe and I took Lily out on the boat.

She did fine at first. She was a little scared, but she enjoyed it. The problem was that it got kind of windy. When it gets windy on a little sailboat the boat leans toward the boom. There were a couple of times when we were leaning over pretty good and Lily thought she was going to fall out. She held on, I leaned out, and then I steered back into the wind so that we would slow down. We spent maybe 10 minutes out on the lake before getting back to the beach. I'm not sure that she is going to leap at the opportunity to sail again soon. It doesn't much matter because the boat rental is closed for the winter now.

I then took Amanda out and it was a lot more interesting than it was on Saturday. We had one time when we nearly went in, but Amanda leaned out enough to save us. I think that there is a happy medium between the winds of Saturday and what we had yesterday, but we still had a good time.

Finally, after lunch we took the kids out on a pedalboat. Lily particularly enjoyed that. Noah liked it too, but he did get a little squirmy. It was a beautiful day to be out on the water and I'm glad to say that no one got baptized. I look forward to next May when we can do this again.

0 comments: