CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, October 17, 2008

A Tale of Two Lilys

Yesterday was quite a day for Lily. We were going to have that tea party, but it didn't happen because of a meltdown she had before she went off to school. Basically, she had planned to buy her lunch but changed her mind just as they were ready to go out the door. Amanda wouldn't change and Lily freaked out. I think she was scared of the lunch line because she pulled basically the same stunt the day before, but with more notice. Anyhow, it led to the cancellation of the tea party. She had to apologize to Jada over the phone.

I spoke to her later in the day and she told me that she "changed her attitude." She was very sweet. She even managed to control her anger when she didn't get what she wanted. We know that the self-control is there, but it's a matter of her exercising it.

I took her and Noah to the grocery store in anticipation of Amanda and Tiffany's periodic freezer cooking that will happen Saturday. Noah was pretty whiny after his shots (he is fine, BTW) so I took him home after Food Lion. I then took Lily to Sam's Club. She stood on the front of the cart while I flew through the store to get what we needed. Then we finished by splitting a sundae with dark chocolate sauce.

A big part of me is ready for it to be 2011 so I can be done with seminary and starting my new career in ministry. However, I don't want to wish these next 3 years away. There's nothing quite like being on a date with your little girl and splitting a sundae. In some ways she seems older than her years, but then as I saw her get her hands and face all smeared with chocolate I was reminded that she is still just 5 and still my little Peanut.

In the same way, it would be nice if Noah were a bit more independent. But I also know that these are precious times where he is tottering in his first steps and looking at everything with a sense of awe. You just can't beat the nearly unquenchable curiosity of a toddler. Yes, it's difficult, but it's a fun time too.

Sorry to depart from straight news, but I was feeling a bit introspective this morning.

0 comments: