CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, January 18, 2010

Hope for Haiti

Our church is very actively involved in ministry to Haiti.  We've built a school and a hospital.  I don't know if they're still standing, but the point is that we were involved in Haiti long before the earthquake and we will be long afterwards too.

The Hope for Haiti Foundation had a fundraiser at a local restaurant yesterday.  Amanda was pretty wiped out, so I took the kids.  We had a nice time listening to the music.  It was pretty much the same show that Lily and I saw a few months ago, but that was just fine with me.  It was nice to be able to hear some excellent live music in a smoke-free environment surrounded by people we know.

Unfortunately, Noah started getting pretty antsy and we had to go.  I was going to take them up to the mall for a treat to kill a little more time before bed, but I had an idea when I hit Peace street.  I hung a right and we went to the Krispy Kreme for some evening doughnuts.  We still went up to the mall, but everything was closed down for the night.  It was still good to let Noah do some running.  He actually went to sleep pretty quickly last night.

On a serious note, if you've been looking for a good organization to support in the Haitian relief efforts, I think ours qualifies.  We have a Haitian on staff at our church and our pastor told us about a conversation they had this week after the earthquake.  He asked Jean why he thought Haiti was still such a mess despite the fact that Haiti receives more international aid than any other country.  Jean's response was that it was because people just give money and the Haitians don't learn how to support themselves.  Our goal is to break that cycles as much as we can.

0 comments: